Monday, September 24, 2012

Running at Pusheta Creek Conquest

Pusheta Creek Conquest

On Sept 15, 2012 the inaugural  Pusheta Creek Conquest 5K was held at Pusheta Creek MX Park in Wapakoneta, OH. It was comprised of the same elements most mud run/obstacle course races have, a 5K dirt trail with obstacles, live music, beer, shirts and medals. The small venue made it easy to navigate and the staff was extremely helpful. Most of the people had helped put the course together and were knowledgeable about what was going on, where, and what time.

The number of runners who signed up was over 200, as listed in the wave times, and the finishing times showed a total of 154 runners. Ohio Running did the chip timing for the event. The timing was done by start times, not by crossing mats when you begin the race. Finish times were recorded at the finish line and then synced up to the start time of your heat for your total time.


Set up/Organized

Overall the race was well organized. One of the more pleasant aspects were the people working the race. They were all very friendly and were well informed of how the race worked. The parking was easy to get in and out of and easily led to the registration. Wave times were assigned and being a small inaugural race they weren't jam packed with people.  The course was well marked and easy to follow. There were places for spectators (who could be there for free) to catch some of the action in the wooded section and everything out on the MX course.

Results were quick and easily accessible. Laptops were located near the finish line where racers could enter their bib number and get their time and place in the race. Emails prior to the race were sent ensuring people had their start times and other information was followed with post race emails linking you to your results.

The Course

As far as obstacle courses go this one was fairly easy. It was intended to have more "natural" obstacles and less man made ones. It was primarily flat except the jumps in the MX course and a couple small climbs in the woods. Starting out you loop around the outer edge of the MX course and after about a half mile you come to the first obstacle. Its approximately a 30-40 yard stretch of mud to crawl though. The following two pictures are the first two obstacles in the race.



After the mud crawl we headed into the woods and hit the log across water where we turned  and came back through the water with no bridge of any type. After that the course snakes, loops and switches back quite a bit through woods. There didn't seem to be any sections longer than 50 yards before you turned again. The switch backs allowed them to fit the entire 5K in a relatively small area but didn't allow for any speed gain over a straight distance. After completing the wooded section which included a creek crossing, tires, a 5 gal jug carry and some other small obstacles you come to the log crossing below. Going above some and below others and out onto the MX course for about the last mile. 


During the last mile the course again ran up and back and didn't have any long straight-aways. There were longer sections now but those were made difficult by the MX course dirt. Chunks of 2 to 4 inch pieces of dirt made running difficult. This was probably one of the bigger challenges as you had to be careful not to twist an ankle and try to keep momentum moving forward. After a few more obstacles of small mud hills, culvert pipes and straw bales you come to the final obstacle, The Black Sea. Seen below, the water was approximately 3-4 ft deep and the mud at the bottom was about a foot deep. After wading or swimming through you were up the hill and across the finish line.


Activities

In the tradition of most obstacle races there was a place to purchase beverages and a live band.

Awards

Like most obstacle/mud races there was a standard tech shirt and medal for all participants. The top three received Spartan helmet trophies.



Support Charities

Local charities were donated to by the committee who put together the event.

My Race There

This was my first official race post appendectomy. I am currently training for a Tough Mudder and after that, the World's Toughest Mudder. I was hoping this race would be a gauge as to where I am in my training. I ran in the third heat of the day at 11 am. I watched the prior heat take off and saw the person leading the first wave come across the finish line. He crossed at a time just over 27 mins. That became my goal for the race. When lining up you could see there were less people in my wave than what was listed online.

As the race announcer sounded the start we took off in a mad dash. I was able to get out front with one other person staying close to me. We ran the first half mile pretty hard then hit the obstacles. I gained a 20-30 yard lead and tried to maintain that. During the run in the woods it was difficult to push forward at a fast rate. The twists and turns of the course caused me to slow down more often than I would have liked. The obstacles were easy, carrying the two 5 gal jugs of water was probably the hardest and it was only for about 50 yards.

Coming out of the woods I was on a good pace to hit the 27 min mark. Trying to run on the MX chopped up dirt clods was more challenging than I anticipated. A lot more. By this time I was drained from running hard and just couldn't keep the pace. I took the last few obstacles easily but knew my time was growing too long. After the straw, mud hills and twists and turns I headed into the water for the final part.

I had seen a gentleman trying to get through it, he was in his 40's or 50's and a little heavier. The mud underneath the water was very difficult and every step he fumbled forward falling a little. Raising the other leg, stepping, and falling forward. Rinse, lather, repeat. I watched this continue as I turned into the water and with about 10 feet left I caught up with him. Part of me was happy that I was able to catch someone in the group that started 30 mins ahead of me. Part of me also knows how important it is to help people. I also realized that I wasn't going to get the best overall time. As he stumbled again I came up beside him, extended my hand to him and said, "Let's go." He looked up at me with bewilderment. It was like he didn't know who I was or what I was doing and certainly didn't expect me to be there. I extended my hand further and said, "Come on, lets get out of here." He took hold and we pulled through the last part of the water with trapping mud below it. Once out, I jogged up and crossed the finish line. He came shortly after and we shook hands and I went back to my friends.

I would have liked to have done better. I did get 12th overall but in a small field I was happy with the results. It gives me something to build on.

Now its your turn to build, get out and GET SOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment