Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cross Training Kayak Style

As a part of all good training, cross training is essential. It has many benefits including breaking the monotony of doing the same thing over and over and also gives you a chance to work other muscles you don't always use. There are many different sports you can do to cross train. If you are a biker go run, a runner go biking, play basketball, tennis, etc. Get in house workout dvd's. If you want to know more about P90X or Insanity email me or leave a comment. I'm looking into working with them for discounts for all of you who are interested. Just find something else you enjoy or have wanted to try and get out and GET SOME!

This weekend I added kayaking to my cross training for the World's Toughest Mudder. I realized that I need to amp up my training for a 24 hour obstacle race. I need to get some, then get some more.

I'm not a very strong swimmer so the prospect of being in the middle of a lake in a tiny boat was not my favorite idea. But I wanted to do this and see if it would be a good workout. Jeremy Roberts, the ActiveOutside blogger, and I headed to East Fork with his kayaks. I got in the kayak and couldn't seem to keep it from rocking a lot. Then I sat back and it was all good. We went around the lake for about 50 mins. I have to say I didn't really feel any good effects from the time out there. Perhaps we could have paddled harder for longer or something. However, the calmness of the water and excitement of learning something new was great. You should exercise your mind, body and soul. And that was good for the soul. And I got this cool picture.
I think I look like the kayaking terminator. Scary huh? Okay, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment