Monday, July 9, 2012

Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot

Saturday July 7th was hot. Just in case you didn't know that. It was 101 degrees in central Ohio. I failed and didn't get up early enough to beat the heat and it slowly beat me down. I did run at Slate Ridge State Park located just out side Lithopolis. Where the heck is Lithopolis? Its south of Canal Winchester on the SE corner of Columbus. Its a nice place to get away and see some good scenery. The have places for the kids including play grounds and activities like archery. There is also a working farm that is around 100 years old. I hit the trails where it takes off to a place that looks like the Serengeti. That's where the sun beat me down. I was hydrated, ran with a fuel belt, which I highly recommend, and took a couple gel packs with me. Still, after 4 miles I was wiped out, that's not normal.

Did you get out and get some in the heat? Some people say "its too hot to run." What happens on race day when its hot? When its too cold? When its raining or other just not quite perfect weather? You are going to run anyway so that isn't an excuse to not run. Its a reason to run. Hot weather training, cold weather training. Make your excuse your reason. Get out and GET SOME!

One of the ponds at Slate Run. 

2 comments:

  1. I try and get up and go running early but sometimes life happens and I cant run until the evening....I try and drink plenty of water and go for a run. I usually compromise on those days and run a short distance to save me from the heat at least I get some exercise in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A strange change has come over me since I inherited this GOAT attitude from my man here. If I hear thunder or wind now my heart starts beating faster and I jump into my running clothes. The worse the storm the better my workout. This gives me the benefit of being wet and fighting the wind and water. Did I mention that I was crazy.... about getting in shape that is. JC

    ReplyDelete