Monday, July 30, 2012

Inspired by JC and Tracy?

I'm finally feel normal again after surgery. I lamented all week about not being able to run in the local Mudninja 5K obstacle course. http://www.mudninja.com/  I'll do an assessment of the race as best I can in another post.

This weekend I was suppose to run with people I trained with and a friend coming from out of state who did his first event in quite a while. Last Sunday when my appendix decided not to rent space in my body anymore, I came to the conclusion I would not be able to run this race. I felt like I let people down as I promised I'd be there, side by side, the whole way with them. Part of being strong is being able to mentally stay in the game when your body can't. All of my fellow runners were happy to see me and made sure I knew they expected me to sit this one out and get better before doing more.

Being very jealous for most of the race that they were getting some, through hills, over obstacles and through the mud I felt jealousy move to pride and inspiration. These people who trained hard for so long did the course, and didn't need me. They were awesome. Continuously moving forward as you have to do. In racing and in life. When they were tired or needed help they worked with others to accomplish the task and kept going.

Tracy is someone who has never done anything like this and signed up because I suggested it (okay, I kind of pushed her into it) and she did great. She trained hard, she wanted it and she got it. The other was JC who wasn't satisfied with being inactive like so many people. He turned 60 and has been motivated to get back into shape. He started training for a Tough Mudder, much more difficult, and used the Mudninja as a gauge and stepping stone. And he was AWESOME. The drive that these two show, the dedication and the want. Its powerful. I'm impressed by Dean Karnazes because this guy runs for hours, for over 100 miles and I can't do that.

I'm more impressed by these two. They may not be there to win the race, but they won their race. They make me want to train harder. Great job to everyone who tried their hardest. And great job to my little Mudninja.


Get out and GET SOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment