Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fitness trails? Of course, parcours.


In training for obstacle courses like the Tough Mudder and Warrior Dash there are little fitness trails at some parks that have stations to stop at and do exercises along your run. I like these as it mimics a small mud/obstacle run. This is not to be confused with a parkour course which is like a type of extreme walking. Rolling over tables and two stepping up a wall probably won't get you 12 miles into a race.

I ran with ActiveOutside blogger Jeremy Roberts. He took me to the parcour fitness trail at a park near his house in Cincinnati. We not only did the course of 20 obstacles, and a 21st one that I added when we found a log, but we ran a little further and found a couple good hills to add to the run. It was a good workout for the day after a scheduled long run. Or you could double up the course for more distance and more challenges.

If you know of any courses in your area please share so we can spread the word. Especially if you know of any near Columbus. Driving to Cincy to do a fitness trail just doesn't seem to be justifiable. If you have one in your area I hope you put it to good use. If not, stop at benches along the park trails and do push ups, crunches, dips, or anything else you can add to your workout. Most of all, get out and GET SOME!

Chin ups are a good workout for being able to pull yourself up and over obstacles. 

We used the log as a weight to do overhead presses. Don't laugh at the ghost seen in these pictures.



2 comments:

  1. I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this kind of space .
    Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this website.

    Studying this information So i am satisfied to express that I've a very good uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot indubitably will make sure to don?t forget this site and give it a glance on a relentless basis.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site :: laptops under 300 dollars

    ReplyDelete