Monday, July 2, 2012

Over the river and off the trail

Alum Creek I two laps by onecooldaddio at Garmin Connect - Details

After a business trip to Florida threw me off track, I got back on the trails Sunday. The Alum Creek bike trails are a great place to get some trail running. The terrain changes quickly, up and down, switchbacks, and fallen trees after the major storms that hit the area. I needed to get a good run so I went for 10 miles, conveniently that is two laps on the trail, unless you get lost. I did take some extra routes where the technical trails are, gives you more obstacles to run and jump over. Good training.

The old trail went right so I jumped the trees and headed that way. 
Which led to this missing bridge, not good for bikers, but excellent for mud runners.
It was very hot and I lost a lot of fluids. As I mentioned in previous posts, hydration is extremely important. I kept my fuel belt bottles full and kept on keeping on. It was a great run. I highly suggest trails like this if you are a trail runner, mud runner, or obstacle racer as they keep you on your toes.

Be aware, you might have uneven ground on mountain bike trails. Keep an eye out for roots, turns, drop offs, and mud as you can easily twist an ankle. There isn't a log of access out there for vehicles so you might end up walking a ways.

Guess which was I went.
Have fun though. Its a great place to run, be courteous to other runners and bikers. I did hear one of my favorite phrases, "I hate when a runner passes me." Hopefully you'll hear that too.

Get out and GET SOME!

1 comment: